recover. Resist. reform.
"'Resist' means to stand for the people who already make America great." - Aisha Dew
Elections are central to a functional democracy. Authoritarian demagogues, and the spineless opportunists who keep them in power, cannot prevail if we vote them out.
2. Contact your reps
We cannot wait until Election Day to hold our representatives responsible for their (in)actions. They work for us, not the other way around.
- Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121. They can connect you to your Senator or House representative
- Text "RESIST" to 50409. An automated bot ("ResistBot") will respond to you and walk you through the process so you can use your text messaging app to send letters (via fax or email) to your representatives.
- Find other ways to access government officials (not only legislators but members of the executive branch as well) here.
3. Stay informed
There is a lot going on and it's hard to keep up.
- Consider the various levels of bias and of depth in your media sources (as illustrated helpfully in this well-researched chart).
- Organize and consolidate your newsfeeds using tools like Feedly and TweetDeck.
- Follow folks like Ezra Klein and Yashar Ali on Twitter. For specific news about gun reform, follow Emma González and David Hogg.
- Subscribe to Jon Favreau's, Jon Lovett, Dan Pfeiffer's, and Tommy Vietor's podcast, Pod Save America (here).
- Sign up for updates from Indivisible here.
There is strength in numbers.
- Search for any upcoming rallies and protests near you at this site. Attend when you can.
- Looking for something specific to #FamiliesBelongTogether? Look here.
- Learn the names of activists and organizations doing important work in your area. Find out about local movements and attend city council meetings.
Unfortunately, in a capitalist system, money talks.
- Send money to organizations like It Starts Today, SwingLeft, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), or the Trevor Project.
- Donate to Everytown, the Brady Campaign, or Giffords to help stop gun violence.
- See this post on Slate for a list of charity organizations helping to fight family separation at the border. Donate to as many of those organizations as you can.
6. Solidarity in art
- Look at Paste Magazine's list of radical films here.
- Support protest artists (like these).
- Look at my list of anti-fascist films here.
- If you're interested in (post)religious advocacy, activism, and storytelling, check out the podcasts put on by the Open Stories Foundation.
- Listen to my playlist of fifty anti-Trump protest songs here.
- Read "Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump," by Dan Pfeiffer (Amazon link here).
- Red L. V. Anderson's piece on mental health, self-care, emotional maintenance, and political resistance at Slate (here).
- Check out RunForSomething.net.
- Join the conversation at Our Revolution.